Friday, June 26, 2020

Baseball Trip Replay - Day 34 - June 26, 1994

June 26 - To paraphrase a friend of mine:

"ONTARIO - LAND-D-D OF-F-F DARKNESS-S-S!!!" (Note the echoes)

Seems he has never driven across Oklahoma in the daylight, and there is nothing to see there at night. Ontario is real dull at night also. They were having fireworks in Sudbury, which was cool. All I remember about Ottawa was that the freeway was built into a trench that ran the length of the city, and as a result, nothing in Ottawa was visible from the freeway. The freeway starts in Ottawa; before that the road is just a two-lane highway with a 90 km/h speed limit. After years cursing US Interstates because they are so incredibly dull, I found myself wishing for one that crossed Ontario. It would have helped had it not been raining through most of this drive.

The sun started glowing on the horizon through the clouds about three. It finally came up about 4:45. I crossed into Quebec about 5:00, and reached Dorval airport about 6. I bought a book and read it to stay awake until Anna arrived.
Anna's plane was on time, and I met her outside the customs gate. We found our hotel, and checked in. The Queen Elizabeth was great; we got really good rates for a first-class hotel. We slept most of the day. We got out that evening, and went walking around. We decided to go see The Lion King, and then went back and ordered room service. Good food, not expensive. Did I mention that I liked this hotel?

Route - I-35W North to I-35. I-35 North to US 8. US 8 East to US 2. US 2 East to Michigan 77. Michigan 77 North to Michigan 28. Michigan 28 East to I-75. I-75 North to Sault-Ste. Marie. Ontario 17 East to Ontario 417. Ontario 417 becomes Quebec 40. Quebec 40 East to Montreal.


No comments: