Monday, June 22, 2020

Baseball Trip Replay - Day 30 - June 22, 1994

June 22 - I got up and drove to Cincinnati. You know, I am tired of the O. J. Simpson story. I normally enjoy sports talk radio shows, but that's all they ever talk about. Sigh.

The place I stayed was nice enough, but I don't know about the neighborhood. I really don't like Cincinnati much. I almost went here for college, but I'm glad I didn't.

I got to the stadium. This, along with Oakland-Alameda, Veteran's, Three Rivers, Busch and the Astrodome, is one of the cookie-cutter circular multi-purpose stadiums built in the sixties or early seventies. It's better than Milwaukee. However, it's kind of dull. Both the Bengals and the Reds want a new place to play, but how is this small place going to pay for it?

However, this place is baseball happy. Lots and lots and lots of red baseball caps everywhere. Cincinnati is the team to beat currently in the NL Central, since Houston is doing the usual and getting pummeled by Colorado. Sigh.

During the game, USA beat Columbia in the World Cup prelims. Unbelievable. The Rockets played Game 7 tonight, and they were leading when the game was over.

The game was great. Cincinnati scored once in the first. San Fransisco answered with a run in the top of the second, but Cincy scored another in the bottom of the second. Barry Bonds led of the fourth with a solo home run, and the game was tied. The Reds scored a run in the bottom of the eight, and brought on the closer, Jeff Brantley. Matt Williams blasted a home run in the top of the ninth to tie it again. The bottom of the ninth went like this:

Monteleone pitching. Boone fouled to catcher. Dorsett doubled to left. Walton ran for Dorsett Howard announced as pinch-hitter for Brantley. Hickerson came in to pitch. Brumfield hit for Howard. Brumfield walked. Sanders hit a fly ball to center; Walton went to third. Beck came in to pitch. Larkin hit a single to right, Walton scored. Reds won 4-3.
The Rockets weren't on the radio in the car. Grr. Got back to the room. The local NBC affiliate decided not to broadcast the NBA finals. Unbelievable. So I found a station on the radio through the static, and listened to the last minute.

ROCKETS WIN!

Now, you must understand. The concept of a championship to a sport fan who grew up in Houston is foreign. The Oilers have been to the playoffs thirteen times, but they have only two very early AFL championships from 1960 and 1961 to show for it. The Astros have been to the NLCS twice and played very well, but lost. The Rockets lost twice to Larry Byrd and the Celtics in the NBA Finals. UH went to the Final Four and lost. I was honestly expecting the Knicks to open up a thirty point lead and coast to the win.

But the Rockets won.

WE WIN! WE WIN!

You will have to forgive me.

Route - Michigan 20 East to I-75. I-75 South to Cincinnati.

Game Log - https://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1994/B06220CIN1994.htm


I actually have some video clips from the game. They let me take in the camera, and I managed to get this tape digitized.







And the scoresheets:

Scoresheet for 1992-06-22 SFN @ CIN - Visitors


Scoresheet for 1994-06-22 SFN @ CIN - Home

No comments: