Friday, June 19, 2020

Baseball Trip Replay - Day 27 - June 19, 1994

June 19 - I got up early and cleared out so that I could get to Tiger Stadium, a nice three hour drive. Tiger Stadium is the oldest stadium in baseball right now. I don't remember the year it opened, but I think it was 1911. Anyway, as a result, parking is a nightmare. It is better than Candlestick, but not by much. I parked in this church lot down the street from the stadium.

And they don't let video into the stadium. Sigh.

This is a strange place. The upper deck hangs over the lower deck almost completely, and there are pillars everywhere. About one sixth of the seats have an obstructed view of the plate. Where I was sitting, I could only see the ball when it was pitched, right when it left the bat and when it was fielded. As a result of all of the obstructed views, they show the game on monitors while it is going on. So you too can pay $12 to watch the Tigers on TV with no sound. Anyway, after all of this, it would be a shame for them to replace this place. Ty Cobb played here. With all of its quirks, this place is right out of history. All this game needs is 28 Camden Yards.

The Tigers won 3-1, and everybody was surprised at the pitcher's duel. Rookie pitcher Gohr pitched a whale of a game, pitching seven and two-thirds innings, giving up six hits, one run, walking two and striking out seven. Detroit won 3-1.

I went back to Mount Pleasant, and Kennen and Joanna made yummy food for dinner. Kaylee is really adorable, and she is fun just to watch.

Route - US 27 South to I-96. I-96 East to Detroit. Reverse for trip back.


Kailey White
A precious child

Tiger Stadium looking at 2nd base

Tiger Stadium looking at center field

Tiger Stadium looking at vistor's bullpen

Tiger Stadium looking at pitcher's mound






1994-06-19 Toronto Blue Jays at Detroit Tiger - Visitors
1994-06-19 Toronto Blue Jays at Detroit Tigers Scoresheet - Home

No comments: