Tuesday, June 16, 2020

Baseball Trip Replay - Day 24 - June 16, 1994

June 16 - Don't ever drive in this place.

I really think that Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia, and North Carolina are the best places to live in this country. The drive was nice. The area has just enough mountains not to be flat, has tolerable summers and winters if you like snow, and is pretty with lots of trees and streams. Really cool area.

Washington, however, is pretty ratty. Once you get past the nice monuments, buildings and museums, the city is a dump, ill-maintained with a discontented population. It also has the most screwed up street systems. I got completely lost trying to get to Mike and Becky Lepalla's house.

I finally got there. Mike works as a legal lackey in the Department of Labor, Becky works for Senator Mike Bingaman. They had a friend visiting whose name escapes me. She is in seminary, and reminds me of Shannon Kimball-Auth. Becky and Mike's apartment is rather small, but given housing costs in Washington and what they are probably making, I don't feel that this is unusual. They have a cat and a dog and I had a good time playing with them. Mike and I had to go get a visitor's parking permit for my car, and the police station was decidedly unimpressive. It seems that the weird bureaucracy of Washington makes it impossible to do city services right.

After catching up on gossip, we all went to bed.

Route - Ohio 14 South to Pennsylvania. Ohio 14 changes to Pennsylvania 51. Pennsylvania 51 East until merge with Pennsylvania 65. Pennsylvania 65 to I-79. I-79 South to US 40. US 40 East to Intestate 68. I-68 East to I-70. I-70 East to I-270. I-270 East to Intestate 495. I-495 South to George Washington Parkway. George Washington Parkway to I-395. I-395 to city streets.


No comments: