Tuesday, July 28, 2020

Baseball Trip Replay - Day 66 - July 28, 1994

July 28 - I hadn't had a chance to sleep in for about a week, so I slept until 1:15. When I did get up, I read a Calvin and Hobbes book. Anna called about 4 to say that she got a cashier's check from my bank, and everything went ok. Got ready to leave for the game, went outside, and my car had been towed. Sigh.

Went back in, and traced through the bureaucracy and found it. Took the subway downtown, and walked to the pound. Paid $138.03 Canadian to get it out of the lot, and left $40 more with Laura and Michael to pay the ticket. Seems there is no place close to their place to park past 7:30 AM, which meant that I would have to get up early the next day and leave. Drove to SkyDome and parked.

SkyDome is a very good compromise. It is multi-purpose, which means that it is not an ideal stadium for any sport. For baseball, there is too much foul territory, which means the stands are too far away. Also, you have to look pretty far left to see the plate in the seats down the line. The roof is very impressive however. I wish I could see it open, and see it closing. Oh, well. MacDonald's runs the concessions, but I have had worse. The hotel rooms in the outfield are way cool, and I wish that I could stay there someday.

Milwaukee took a 4-2 lead off of Dave Stewart, but Joe Carter tied it in the bottom of the 8th with a 2-run home run. The Brewers scored one in the top of the 9th, however, and won 5-4. Texas Rangers pitcher Kenny Rogers pitched a perfect game also. The players voted on a strike deadline of August 12th. And the league rejected Seattle's proposal to play at the AAA park in Tacoma, so the game I was to go to will be played in Anaheim. I won't be going to Seattle after all.
It was good seeing Michael Gemar again. I didn't know him that well at Rice, but it turns out that he is as big a baseball fan as I am. We both were ticked, however, when the guy in front of us asked us to shut up so he could concentrate on the game. "Why don't you take your conversation up there (pointing to the upper deck) so us real fans can pay attention to the game?" What are real fans? We paid out $23. He left in the seventh inning anyway. Some real fan he turned out to be. Toronto has the quietest fans I have ever seen, and I guess Michael's and my jabbering just got on his nerves. His twins daughters were bored out of their skull, and he kept yelling at them. I don't know what his problem was.





Scoresheet for 1994-07-28 MIL at TOR - Vistors

Scoresheet for 1994-07-28 MIL at TOR - Home

No comments: