Sunday, July 26, 2020

Baseball Trip Replay - Day 64 - July 26, 1994

July 26 - Since I was ending the night at Yankee Stadium, and one does not drive to Yankee Stadium, I decided to take a cab to Manhattan. Cost $53. Live and learn. You see, Staten Island is the one borough of the five that make New York City without any train service whatsoever. The ferry runs from 6 AM to 11:30 PM. After that, you drive. Sucks rocks.
Anyway, I asked the cab to take me to the Metropolitan Museum. He didn't know where it was, and the cab company gave him the wrong address. I found a cop, and he told me where it was. I was dropped of on the wrong side of Central Park and 12 blocks downtown from it. Aargh. My feet hurt already from yesterday's walk, and I haven't even been in the museum yet.

This place is huge. The highlight for me was the musical instrument collection. All sorts of really rare European instruments in one room; the other room had non-European instruments, and I have no idea how rare they are. Was a really cool place.

Another highlight was the Rodin statues in the 19th century European art section. It seems that Rodin had this grand vision of a huge work called the Gates of Hell, of which the large Thinker (there are several Thinkers) was just supposed to be a small part. He never put them together, and kind of gave up later, and made the pieces more elaborate so they wouldn't fit together anyway. But the unifying theme is quite dramatic, and the Met has at least six of the statues in the series. Their Impressionistic collection was large, but Philadelphia's was better quality. They had a special exhibit on Picasso's Weeping Women, which as exhibits go, isn't supposed to be very good. However, I gained a new appreciation for his work. They had another on Salvador Dali. I really like a few of Dali's works, the more surrealistic, the better, but the rest of his art was kind of bland. The exhibit was well done, however.

About 3:30, I couldn't take anymore. My brain was spinning, and my feet hurt, so I bought a mystery novel, and sat in a cafe on Madison Ave. and read until time for the game. I took a cab to Yankee Stadium. They started on time, but it looked real iffy. It was raining quite hard there for a while. The Yanks blew a 5-0 first inning lead and lost 10-7. The best part about this was the bleacher bums. They reminded me more of the Rice Student Section at a football game than anything else. They were chanting and clapping in unison throughout the game. They were obnoxious but funny. I glad I wasn't sitting there, but they were fun to watch.







Scoresheet for 1994-07-26 BOS at NYA - Visitors
I got the date wrong on the scoresheet. Oops.


Scoresheet for 1997-07-26 BOS at NYA - Home





No comments: