Wednesday, July 15, 2020

Baseball Trip Replay - Day 53 - July 15, 1994

July 15 - Finally contacted the reporter, Carol Rust, from the Houston Chronicle. Went downtown and met her, and we did the photo shoot. She asked me some questions, and went off to write the story. I found Matt Cohen, who got the story going in the first place, and he gave me a tour of the Chronicle, including all of the neat old and new computer hardware they have. We ate at Treebeard's, which is a good Cajun lunch place. Good food. I then got in touch with Brian Donnell. I went back to Krista's and got my stuff, and made my way to Brian's. Brian's apartment is nice; he lives in the second floor of a duplex with hardwood floors and a good layout. He put a ping-pong table in the dining room, which is really cool. I really liked this place. Brian was having trouble with his burglar alarm; it was quite amusing.

Matt and Chuck Kuffner came over, and we went to eat at Pappa's out on the Southwest Freeway. I seemed to be the only one who had been there, and I thought I was losing my mind, because as we were driving down the feeder road, it kept not being there. But it was, and my Houston memory was vindicated. Had wonderful shrimp. Chuck and Matt invited some friends to meet us, and they showed up about an hour later. Amy Hemphill is an undergrad at Rice, and Denise Krause is a single mother who is just starting college for the first time. We chatted for a while, and then went to see Forest Gump. What a wonderful, wonderful movie. I went back to Brian's and went to sleep.


No comments: