Sunday, July 12, 2020

Baseball Trip Replay - Day 50 - July 12, 1994

July 12 - Went to Epcot Center. I've been told that if you have been to Disneyland in Anaheim that the Magic Kingdom in Orlando was about the same. Epcot was kind of a disappointment. I guess I was expecting more substance or more rides. Instead, there were a few rides with some sketchy science and history, mostly told from a white American/European slant to it. I was quite annoyed with the ride that goes up into the ball. It was supposed to be a history of progress kind of thing. When they were talking about writing, they did not mention cuneiform and the Assyrians/Babylonians/Sumerians who used it (I forgot who developed it) at all. They acted as if a writing system was impossible without an alphabet and did not mention the Chinese at all. When they did mention Islam, it was if they were merely caretakers of all of the precious Greek and Roman knowledge while the West figured out how to get itself back on track after the collapse of Rome. Did you know that Rome burned down? AAGH!

The Innoventions booths were just displays for various computer companies, and you had to pay to play the VR games! Journey Into Imagination was kind of trippy and weird; I would not have wanted to be on drugs seeing this ride. The Living Sea was ok, but mainly because they had a display with live manatees! Cool! They were great; I watched them for quite a while. The Land boatride was ok, lot's of biosphere-type agricultural research going on. I liked this ride the best. I made my way over to the Canadaland area. They ran a reasonably (I guess) cool 360 degree movie about Canada. Sigh. Since the rest of the park was all country areas, and it was raining, and I wanted to see the All-Star game on TV anyway, I decided to leave and get dinner. One thing: all the Brazilian teenagers in the world were there. They all were in groups wearing extremely bright identical tight tee-shirts. They would sing and dance as they went from ride to ride.

The All-Star Game was very cool. The NL won 8-7 in 10 innings.


There were bands.

The manatees were cool.

No comments: