Tuesday, March 13, 2007

I'm back, finally

Well, after a very long (nearly two year) hibernation, I am back. A lot has happened since June of 2005. My wife got pregnant again, and we decided to bag Silicon Valley and the nice job at Apple for Austin, TX (close to home!) and a kick-ass startup company.

My impressions of Austin are still not well-formed after nine months here. Our house in Steiner Ranch is pretty awesome. I have not been able to enjoy much in the way of Austin culture because we are just too darned busy with two children under the age of 2 and with the process of finishing moving into our house.

We did have a hell of a time getting into the house; one of my next blogs will be about that. I would have trouble recommending Taylor Woodrow in our neighborhood, River Heights Overlook, because of all of the issues.

Aside from that, the weather has been fantastic (except for the 3-day shutdown of the town from an ice storm in January. The snow was cool, and all...). The drive home is pretty. I like being this close to Lake Travis. Everything in Austin is much closer to everything else that I am used to; that is really cool.

I do, however, miss good Szechuan, Hunan, Dim-Sum, and Thai food. Of course, San Fransisco is the Asian food capital of America, so I am out of luck there.

I did appear with a community orchestra, the Balcones Community Orchestra. It's a local chamber orchestra, a training grounds for local string players. The winds are a necessary evil, I guess. Anyway, I played 3 nerve-wracking pieces on principal flute, including a big solo. It went well, I thought. The group is not great, which means my flute playing is not terribly out of place.

My wife is going nuts being at home all day, and not having the house "finished". Will be glad when that happens.

We will miss our Oakland A's season tickets, and it sucks having to drive 3 hours to get to major league baseball. However, I am close to my childhood team, the Astros. Too bad they aren't going to be very good this year.

More later as I have time.

No comments: