Friday, June 26, 2009

Giving up on iPod FM transmitters

I have a 2005 Corvette with the DVD Nav system. It has a CD player, and an AM/FM/XM Radio. I have been trying for years to use my iPod with it.

I am giving up. The FM antenna in the car is pretty bad anyway; I get static on very good stations that our other cars pick up fine. In both the Bay Area, and the Austin area, I can't find a station that sounds like anything at all.

Since there are no jacks or docking cables, I am out of luck. I could have used the cassette player if I had bought a 2004! That's what I do with one of our other cars, and my parents' cars as well.

I am not going to go pay somebody hundreds of dollars to install a jack, although I have seen instructions how to on the net.

So I give up. I did something else.

I took a bunch of CDs out to the car. Boy, they sound great! And I forgot how much fun listening to complete albums can be. Changing them is a bit of a pain, though. I can also burn them, and supposedly this unit can read mp3 CDs. So this is good enough, especially supplemented with radio and satellite.

Next car, though, I want real iPod integration.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is there any chance your antenna lead is unplugged from the head unit?

(Not that this matters for iPod, since I believe the antenna is not involved in conveying the signal from the FM transmitter—it goes through ground.)

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

the radio in my 1990 Mazda had various symptoms of disintegration as it aged, complicated by the antenna snapping off during a rainstorm. the cassette adapter's cord served as the antenna after that loss. with further age, i ended up using the cassette adapter to connect to cheap boombox radios or small handhelds just to get traffic info. as the cassette in the car stopped working as well, i simply use earphones to the radio with the cable again acting as my antenna as the rod antenna had broken on the boombox! this is mostly because my cheap broken iPod doesn't have an FM radio receiver.
creative, yes?