Saturday, February 26, 2005

Catching up to 2003 technology

Well, here it is. A blog. OK. Something interesting... let's see...

Went to see the Herbie Hancock/Michael Brecker/Roy Hargrove music tour at Cal Performances in Berkeley a couple of weeks ago. I was really looking forward to this concert. It was expensive, $58 for center orchestra seats. Brecker is my favorite jazzer, Hancock is a legend, and Hargrove is a good player.

What a waste.

It was obvious that Hancock was in control of the content. I expected some good hard-driving post-bop stuff with some electronics folded in. What I got instead was a rambling, free-jazz, electronic mish-mash. I know a lot about jazz, but this stuff was way too advanced for me. I enjoyed some of the moments in the show. Brecker had some typically amazing solos. But, most of this concert was pure noise. It's like Hancock was trying to bring Bitches' Brew into the 21st century, but not being as structured.

Pfft.

Avoid this one, jazz fans.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great Jazz player!

computer said...

Sometimes if it’s too advanced it might sound like a noise and it’s not an ordinary computer geek. I’ve seen their performance and I would say I love most part of it. The eternal triangle jam is really cool and awesome. These guys are really fine musician and they are true masters and legends. Open your ears and jazz.

sydvicious said...

I have been playing and listening to jazz for 35 years. I have many many Brecker and Hancock albums. I thoroughly enjoy most of them. I did not at all enjoy this concert.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. It's cool that somebody enjoyed this.