Sunday, June 10, 2018

Today, I figured I would take it easy since I knew I was going to the Blue Note Tokyo to hear some jazz. Besides it was raining, and did not feel like fighting the elements and being a foreigner all at the same time. I ate breakfast at the buffet, spent time reading a book in the lobby, did some writing, and took a nap.

When it was time to go to the club, I decided rather than walk and take a bus (which is what Apple Maps recommended), I would take a taxi. 10 minute drive.

I think that this was a really good choice. I stayed dry. It cost me about $20. Totally worth it.

The Blue Note Tokyo is a real jazz club in a real city. I miss that ever since moving to Austin. The Bay Area has Yoshi's (two clubs), and I really miss it.

There are some really good acts scheduled for the club this summer. I just missed Eliane Elias. Mike Stern is coming next week. Tower of Power will be here later this summer. There are some acts on the bill I have never heard of, but the excerpts of them they played on the video screen sounded great.
Tonight's act was Maceo Parker's Ray Charles Orchestra. I had no idea what to expect, but it certainly wasn't Maceo Parker doing a Ray Charles tribute with local musicians filling out the big band. He even put on dark glasses when he sang! I found that a bit cheesy. The music director evidently used to work with Charles, but I did not catch his name.
The band was great. and filled with local players. If I do come to spend some extended time here in Tokyo, I need to bring my horn. It would be fun to play with these cats. They are good. Some are quite a bit better than I am; most are at my level. The lead trumpet player, who also evidently was the contractor, was absolutely awesome. The bari player was the only Western fellow in the band. He was pretty good, but I did not feel outclassed.
The woman next to me knew most of the band, and had a really good time. She and I were grooving to the music, and I wish we could have danced! We had a really good time.
The food was good. The music was good. The club itself was awesome. I miss having a real club in Austin. Haven't been to Parker's yet; maybe it's this good.

No comments: